Monday, January 7, 2008

Frustration to Joy and the First Steps Towards Single Speed Paradise

Well this was an interesting day. It started off well. I felt good and was excited to see my students and colleagues. As the day progressed however I really ran out of energy. I've been fighting a virus since Dec. 23 and it does not want to release the grasp it has on me. I was planning on getting a run in and also doing a spin class at the club this evening. Unfortunately it was not to be. I need to do a better job of listening when my body is speaking. It needs rest.

However all was not lost. I decided to start working on my first bike project of the winter. I have an old Specialized Hard Rock Comp mtn. bike that's been collecting dust. I had it set up for commuting back and forth to school. Well, I need to be outside on the bike and I thought this was
the perfect excuse to start setting up a single speed beauty. In my eyes anyway.
So I started off by pulling the chain, front and rear derailleurs, and the shifters. Next, I swapped the wimpy road tires for monster dogs. It really is going to be a fine flier when the project is completed. Pictures will be forthcoming. Anyway, I'm excited and that's all that matters. My wife Patti even came to basement to see what I was up to. She was unimpressed, but I shall not let that deter me. Have a good night.

Nigity - "Always keep a smile in your heart."

No comments: