Friday, January 18, 2008

Resting and Bored

For once in my life I'm taking the Dr.'s orders. I'm actually resting. I can't tell you how difficult and boring it is. I've gone to the basement twice this morning to look at my bike on the trainer.
I was actually up at 4:30 AM and paced for about 20 minutes trying to decide whether or not to go to spin class. Reason and common sense took over and I stayed home and did school work until about 9 AM. Madonna said I was actually missed at class. It was weird to see my bike sitting empty. I never dawned on me that I had become such a permanent fixture at spin class. Anyway, I thought that was kind of nice.

We have an inservice at school today so it's all meetings and I'm happy to not be there. I like it better when my students are there. They certainly makes it more interesting and entertaining.
So, yesterday and today consisted of blogging, sleep, reading, more sleep, working on training log, more sleep. I may actually watch a movie this afternoon. "The Departed" damn good stuff.
I did find a couple of quotes to share. I was a competitive runner for about 10 years and then my feet broke down and it was over. Steve Prefontaine was by far one of my favorite athletes of the time. He lost only one NCAA Cross Country meet, and that was as a freshman. I loved watching him run, and was terribly saddened by his sudden death. He had guts, determination and so much dedication to his sport. He was kind of like a Lance Armstrong of running. Thinking about it now makes me think back to my cross-country and track days in college. God I loved it! Especially cross countries gut wrenchingly difficult workouts and races. There are a lot of similarities to cycling. I probably would have to say those were some to the best times of my life and I really do miss it. So here are a couple of Pre's quotes for you along with a photo. I wonder if I can expect to do this kind of stuff more as I get older. Looking back.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
---Steve Prefontaine
"I don't want to win unless I know I've done my best, and the only way I know how to do that is to run out front, flat out until I have nothing left. Winning any other way is chicken-shit. " ---Steve Prefontaine








No comments: