Monday, April 7, 2008

To Clean or Not To Clean

First of all, let me clarify something right now. I am not fussing over having dirt on my bike. I am tightening a loose bottle cage. Now, I should let you know that I am very annal when it comes to my bikes, etc. I like them to be clean and shiny. I think this all stems from my days as a high school hot rod motor head. I had a red 1966 Chevy that was always spotless. I still kick myself in the ass for selling that car. Anyway, I'm very particular. I had no idea Kenny was taking pictures. Oh! Kenny, I will have a camera with me from now on.
Kenny's caption went as follows...








See, a speck of dirt, right there! It's driving me nuts, can't you see it ??? I have to go home and clean my bike right now.

I have to admit that it is pretty damn funny. Also, I will say that I did clean my bike off when I got home. Road grit, what can I say. I also cleaned that garage at the same time and just took advantage of the opportunity.

This evening was a different story. My bike, the old black Specialized was in a very sad state after yesterday's ride. I couldn't believe the amount of rust and road grit it had accumulated. It seems to me I had accumulated just as much grit inside my shorts as I did outside. Nonetheless I should have never let it sit like that over night. Anyway, I stopped at REI and noted that they had a used Park Tool work stand sitting on the shelf. It was scuffed up and I was surprised to see it there. I immediately saw the opportunity for a deal. $150 dollar stand for $80 : ) Not bad. I put it to good use as soon as I arrived home. I spent some time getting the "Black Beauty" all cleaned up and re-lubricated. Tomorrow I will shine it up with a little Pedro's "Bike Lust". As a matter of fact, I may do that before bedtime tonight.

I have to add here that I am very excited for my dear friend Andrea. She just picked up her new Cannondale Synapse and sounds very excited. I'm looking forward to getting out for a ride with her sometime soon.

3 comments:

Madonna said...

There is medication for this type of obsession. Just kidding...we love to give you a hard time!

Vito said...

I'm already on beta blockers. Are you suggesting that I may be obsessive compulsive?

shawnkielty said...

I fussing over nt having dirt on my bike