Wednesday, July 2, 2008

2008 Tour de France: Does Anyone Really Care?

I never thought would see the day that I would say, "I'm not all that fired up for this years TDF." That day is here and it's true. I just cannot get excited about it. Fatty did a great write up on The Tour in the form of an open letter to the ASO. It's fantastic.

After looking at the start lists for teams yesterday I thought...It's pretty much wide open and I didn't really see many cyclists that I would like to see win. Accept of course for Jens Voight. I like his style. The only other riders I see that may have a shot are Cadel Evans (probably one of the favorites) along with Valverde and Cunego. Others like David Millar, and possible Fabian Cancellara (who is another cyclists I like) may have a chance at the overall classification. Oh, I almost forgot good old George Hincapie. It would be great to see him pick up a stage win. Overall, the only stages I'm interested in watching on TV would be Stage 10 (the Tourmalet) and Stage 17 (finish on L'Alpe d' Huez)

The whole organization is all screwed up, from the bottom up. The other thing that is turning me off is all these name changes, sponsorships, etc., etc. It's getting as bad as professional sports here in the United States.

Maybe my interest would peak by participating in some kind of fantasy TDF like Kenny suggested. I'll have to look into that and see who's interested.

No comments: