Sunday, March 1, 2009

Is Spring Around the Corner?

If you're into astronomy or even if you're not, but appreciate the night sky, the Moon and Venus made for a gorgeous pair in the western sky. In traditional mythologies both are symbols of fertility and growth. Could this pairing be a harbinger of the coming arrival of spring? I know many who would hope so.

Saturday morning once again found me out riding the local lakes and trails. After six inches of snow Thursday night, lake riding was more of an exercise in futility which brought me one step closer to making a decision about whether or not to get that Surly Pugsley. If I am going to continue this winter riding I think I definitely would like to have one.

Despite the difficult conditions on the lakes, the trails themselves provided me with some excellent riding. I ended up riding for just over three hours and covered 28.2 miles. It's always a satisfying way to spend part of a winter day. The temperature when I started was -3 F, but it did warm-up to a balmy 14 F by the time
I completed my ride. The sunshine was beautiful and provided a certain warmth that made the ride that much more pleasant.

Today brought another intense spin class with Matt. It was 90 solid minutes of speed and climbing.

Also, today is the start of the Iditarod Invitational in Alaska. This race is billed as the World's longest winter ultra race. Either 350 miles to McGrath or 1,100 miles all the way to Nome by bike, ski, or foot travel. It follows the same trail as the famous Iditarod Sled Dog race.

1 comment:

LvilleTex said...

very nice moon/venus pic. thanks.