Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Honey...I'm Going For a Trail Run.

Those were my words as I gathered my things for the drive to the trailhead. Patti was still in bed, thunder rumbled, and rain was coming down. In her daze, she said nothing. That girl is a sleeper.
My plan was simple...run to the top of Carlton Peak and back then run a portion of the trails at the Sugarbush XC ski area.
The trail to the top is very rocky with a lot of exposed tree roots. Going up was actually not too bad, but it was coming down where things got a bit dicey.
As I approached the top I was amazed at how good my legs felt. They actually felt like my running legs. This surprised me because it was less than 24 hours since completing my long mountain bike tour.

Once to the top I stopped to catch my breathe, take a couple of pics then turn around and head to the parking lot and the Sugerbush trails.

The temps were in the upper 40's and aside from the rain it was actually a great morning for a run. The spring I had in my legs surprised me and I really felt like I could have kept going. I stopped for a cup of coffee on the way back to our room and when I walked in the door all I heard was...."Where the hell did you go in this rain? You really are crazy!" All I could do was smile and agree.

Today...my legs are hurting. Patti is going for a run, I'm just going for a walk.

No comments: