Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Glimpse of the Future

On Sunday I ventured back to Elm Creek for a few hours of relaxing riding. Once again the weather for this time of year was absolutely phenomenal. Work has begun in earnest on a new single track trail system in the north end of the park and today I went to take a look.
After turning out a couple of laps on the inner loop I headed north on the grass trails until I came to the area where some of the trail work is taking place. It was very exciting to see the progress that is being made.
It was even more exciting to actually take a cruise on the freshly cut trail. I've been on the volunteer list to help work on the trail system and I'm hoping to be able to get some work in yet this fall and next spring.
It is going to be a nice little gem and many of the local mountain bike crowd are pretty excited to see it finally become a reality. I do realize that I should not have been out there on the trail, but I just couldn't resist the temptation to check things out.
The trail winds it's way through some beautiful hardwood forest and also some open meadow areas. It's going to have a very nice flow to it, but not a lot of elevation gain. None the less it will be a fun place to ride.
I'm imagining that at this time next year the Amigos and others will be enjoying some great "lights and tights" riding on our new trail. Can you think of a better way to spend an autumn evening?
After a brief tour of the trail I headed back out onto the gravel roads, grass, and paved trails. This past week has to have been one of the best weather weeks we've seen in October for quite some time. I'm hoping to get out this week for a night ride. After all...It is "lights and tights" time.

2 comments:

JayT said...

"It's going to have a very nice flow to it, but not a lot of elevation gain. None the less it will be a fun place to ride"

Wait until it's finished and you run your Gamin for a loop... you might be vertically surprised.

Vito said...

I'm very excited to have this trail so close. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Thanks to you and everyone else involved in this project!