Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring Gravel II

I was able to get out for a couple of hours of easy riding today and was very disappointed to discover that a premo stretch of gravel near the community of West Tonka had been paved over. This was a very nice stretch of gravel with rolling hills. Apparently some would call this progress. I call it stupid and I hope the frost cracks and heaves it.

Late spring of 2010

Today: Spring of 2011

The rest of my ride was purely delightful and relaxing. It felt good to get out, spin the legs, and enjoy the sights and smells of spring.



My bike definitely needs a very good cleaning.

On another note...I've been trying out my Revelate Design "Tangle Bag". I really like this bag a lot and I believe it's going to be a great piece of gear for those long northern Minnesota forest road rides. It will hold a pump, tools, food, spare tube, camera, etc. I can also place a 70 oz. Camelback bladder into the bag when the bag is empty, adding to my options for carrying extra gear.

I think it's going to be a good year for riding.

2 comments:

Pondero said...

I've lost a few prime gravel stretches recently down here in Texas also. I feel like I've lost a friend.

Anonymous said...

Down here in E TN we hardly have gravel. I have to go find it in the National Forests. Back up in Indiana I could ride out my door and head a road or two over for some!