Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Love Affair Continues...

I have recently been caught in the midst of a love affair! Despite this fact, my intimate relationship with the new Elm Creek Park Reserve continues to grow.

Not many dry days have gone by where I haven't been riding this ribbon of dirt that is a mere 5.5 miles from our home. It has become a mountain bike nirvana for bikers living in the northwest suburbs of the Twin Cities.

As the word spreads more and more people venture to the park to give the trails a try and to see what all of the excitement is about. The word that is out there right now is...FAST!!! These trails have become very fast! The more they are ridden the faster they get. I've been keeping track of my lap times and they have gone down nearly 3 minutes in the past 1.5 weeks. My fastest time so far has been 1:05:57 and that came with me hitting the deck one time and running into a tree. Don't worry! The tree is just fine, but I have one sore shoulder right now.

I'm not sure if I really want to go much faster then that. I've already pushed the envelope with my single track skills and I think that trying to go much faster than that is only going to get me hurt. A couple of my amigo friends are hovering around the 1 hour time or faster for the complete 12+ miles of trails.

Today I'll be venturing north once again. This time, to visit with my folks and help them get some chores done around their house. Of course, this trip will also include a visit to some of my favorite forest roads and fire trails on the El Mariachi and gathering of old classmates from 1976 on Saturday night. 1976!!! Man I am getting old:)

Have a great weekend and keep the wheels spinning.

No comments: