Saturday, December 17, 2011

Progress and Patience

Slowly but surely my back is progressing towards recovery, but it is taking much longer than I would like. I have to exercise a good deal of patience in this matter and this is difficult for me to do.

Five years ago, when I first went through this it was much much worse. Treatment involved, chiropractic care, traction, two cortisone injections, six weeks of physical therapy, and nearly three and half months of no biking at all. This time around it is far less severe, but as backs go...If I'm not careful it could quickly get much worse.

I've been stretching quite a bit, but any strengthening exercises have to be put on hold until the spasms and pain subside. As long as there is pain I'm very cautious about what I do.

There is also a matter of putting some adventures on hold. The fact that we have zero snow makes this a bit easier to do. However, I did have some fun rides planned for over the holiday break and I'm quite sure at this point that they may have to be put on hold. This troubles me a great deal. So, in the meantime, I'll continue to do what is necessary for a full recovery and dream about what will hopefully be coming down the trail...

1 comment:

Scott said...

I'm sure this is very frustrating. It's good that your patience is paying off and your progressing. Hang in there! Wishing you good health and happiness for the holidays!