Sunday, January 27, 2013


A month ago this past Friday I fell into the depths of illness with a serious bout of pneumonia. Initially it started with what they thought was influenza and progressively became worse over a five day period of time. After four days with temps hovering around 102-103 I ended up in the hospital emergency room with a delirium inducing temp. of 105 and gurgling sounds coming from both lungs. According to my regular doctor, the ER doctor injected me with enough antibiotics and other medication to make an elephant healthy:) After ten long days in bed and several weeks of rest with some light workouts I finally feel as if I'm coming back. I had some pretty vigorous sessions on the stationary bike this past week and finally got outside to ride the Pugsley yesterday.

I wanted my first ride outside to be something that I had never done before. So I woke up early and headed north on 35W to Duluth so I could spend several wonderful hours riding up and down the beach on Minnesota Point (Park Point). I can honestly say that it was one of the coolest experiences I've had on the Pugsley and I relished every minute of the experience. Getting out on the bike in the cool and fresh winter air near Lake Superior was just what I needed. My lung tissue is still recovering and healing, so between coughing jags, I had to continuously remind myself to just take it easy and enjoy. This morning found me indoors again where I had a really hard two hour workout on the stationary bike in what we lovingly call "The Cave".

Now that I'm finally starting feeling better all I can think about is getting up to the Northwoods and riding.


Doug said...

My wife and I went for a walk on the beach yesterday afternoon. I saw two sets of fatbike going and one coming back I assumed. Must have been yours?

Sarah said...

Beautiful. Thank you for taking me to Lake I now live in Arizona!

feel better!

rlove2bike said...

Sound like fun!! I haven't ridden a beach ride yet.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Thanks for posting,

FTMN said...

Wow! Glad to hear you're feeling better!