Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Lonesome Polecat Riding Off The Grid

Many people with smart phones have become enamored with all of the cool mapping fitness apps that are available. I too have an iPhone with several mapping apps on it such as...Strava, Cyclemeter, Nike Running, Map My Ride, and Map My Run. They are pretty cool and fun to play around with, but if you come to ride in northern Minnesota they may be completely useless depending upon your cell service provider. I'm serviced by Verizon and can tell you that once I'm two miles north of town service is spotty to non-existent. In other words the only thing of practical use on the phone is the camera. You are literally on your own and riding off the grid and to be honest I'm perfectly fine with that.

 "Lonesome Polecat Road"





 






3 comments:

Joboo said...

Glad to see you're getting some "up north" time Bill!!!
Even AT&T is iffy just north of Chisholm, and even worse in downtown Gheen!! Lol

LvilleTex said...

Great post!

Doug said...

I was down in southeastern Minnesota two weeks ago. A bunch of us rode the Almanzo 100 route over two days (instead of one day like in the actual event). Cellphone service was spotty at best in some areas of that route. Didn't matter to me. I got my first cell phone only two years ago. And it's a pay-as-you-go dumbphone.