Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mesabi Red


With family circumstances dominating much of my time I've really fallen behind on trying to keep up with this blog.  Due to my father's failing health I've been spending a good deal of time traveling back and forth to northern Minnesota. First week was spending time with dad while he was in the hospital and then helping with his transition to the nursing home where he is attempting to regain enough strength to get himself home. Riding has certainly taken a back seat this spring and so far this summer. I've also been dealing with a health issue of my own that has limited my ability to ride further distances and push myself the way I would like. The two situations together have left me feeling rather fatigued.


I managed to get out for a couple of hours one morning and explore the playgrounds of my youth. Growing in Chisholm provided us with plenty of opportunities to sneak off and play on the mining property that surrounds most towns on the Mesabi Iron Range. This also provided us with plenty of opportunities to get into trouble if we were caught. That along with the fact that our mothers absolutely hated having to wash clothes that were permanently stained with the "Mesabi Red" ore. Now as an adult I've found myself trying to relive some of those childhood memories.






The pits, as we lovingly call these huge man made holes in the ground, provided us with plenty of adventure and also some damn fine swimming holes.




Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

No comments: