Saturday, January 19, 2008

The New One Speed Steed

Well, this is what I have been waiting for. The fixed gear flier is ready to go. I picked it up this afternoon. Mounted some lights and computer on it and it is ready. I went to REI and found some cheap ski goggles for winter riding. I believe that I'm set, however I am wondering about peddles. I may remove the Shimano's and replace them with some cheap platforms for winter. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.


The drivetrain consists of a 17 tooth Surly rear cog along with a Surly singulator.







Up front is a Redline crank with a 32 tooth Salsa chainring.
It's certainly nothing fancy or exotic, but it will certainly get the
job done.






I also mounted a Cateye Enduro 8 computer along with a Cateye
EL 220 LED headlamp along with the LD 270-R taillight. Again, nothing fancy, but simplistic and functional. I am concerned about the light system. Would have loved to get one of the Nite Rider light sets, but I really didn't want to spend $150+. Who knows, if I really get into this commuting thing I may splurge down the road.
My goal is to start riding at least a couple days a week. I attend spin classes on Wednesdays and Fridays, so those days are out. Even if the start at 5:45 AM, there is still no practical way for me to get to work on time. I don't want to give up the spinning classes because they are valuable training for me.

My new adventure begins sometime soon. In the meantime I still have medical issues to deal with and tests to take down the road. I guess those will play a huge role in determining how soon I can get going. However, even with those things to consider, I still may be bombing around the neighborhood in the evenings just to get used to it and have a little fun. Yes, even if the temps are a bit frigid.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Nice set-up. That will make a great cold weather, winter bike.