Friday, June 27, 2008

Down Time

Well, I guess I'll be done riding for a while. I was up at 4:10 a.m. so I could get to the health club for Matt's spin class. Sleep was hard to come by last night as it was difficult for me to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

Matt, being himself of course, had a treat for me. It was a mountain biking video with a lot of crashes. I guess I should have expected something like that from Grasshopper. This along with his comments like...Bill will staying in the saddle today. There he is, bad knee, broken ribs, beta-blockers. Hey Bill! Next week you can bring your medical history and we could easily have a one hour show on the big screen. Class really sucked this morning! I can't believe I got up at 4:10 for that. I was totally uncomfortable the entire time. There is not much I can do physically that doesn't cause me to experience pain.

A guy who was in class pulled my aside afterward and cautioned me to take it easy. Apparently he is a physical therapist. He told me that the more I push myself now the longer it will take to heal. He said there is a strong likelihood of me just making it work.

So, I guess I'll be forcing myself to lay off for a bit and see what happens. This is not the way I wanted to start my summer. Heal now.... ride later.

I'm watching the 2003 TDF. Tyler Hamilton (doper) riding the entire race with a broken collar bone. Man, I'm a wimp!

6 comments:

Judi said...

Give it like 4 days and take lots of vitamin c. it helps heal bones. ester c is good too. i swear on vitamins vito! they really work!

Vito said...

Thanks Judi. I'll definitely take your advice :)

Petit Chèvre said...

If you are not on it already, glucosamine helps heal bones, joints and muscles too -- three times a day. Just takes a few weeks to see benefits.

Spin On (after you rest up:)

Kenny said...

I broke my collarbone and was on my bike in 3 weeks, spinning in 2. Yes, compared to Tyler I was a wimp, but my break was complete and his wasn't.

You got all winter to heal.

In the meantime, I suggest listening to the blues.

Vito said...

I'm already crying the blues Kenny.

Doug said...

Bummer about your medical issues of late! Personally I'd recommend getting in to your doctor and getting it all figured out. Easy for me to say, though. I get very frustrated with doctors and the medical system. I know more about my Celiac Disease than my doctor does. I diagnosed myself and then had to educate him about it!

Switching topics....I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy your photos at the top of your blog!