Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sad Day in Twins Territory


I have loved the game of baseball for as long as I can remember. Those days as a youngster lying in bed with my little transistor radio stuffed under my pillow with the earphone in listening to the Twins or whatever other game I could get.

I remember an October evening walking around Chisholm Lake listening to the World Series game where Reggie Jackson repeatedly hit home runs and would become Mr. October. Then there were those hot summer days in the boat with my father. Fishing crappies and listening to the game on the radio.

Some years ago I attended Twins Fest and met Harmon Killebrew in person. He was, by far the kindest, most sincere, and down to earth athlete I've ever met. Kevin McHale aside, because I actually know him and have tipped a few cold ones with him.

The Twins organization could not have had a better person to represent them and be "The Face of the Minnesota Twins." He was a great player, wonderful person, and a great humanitarian. He will be missed by Twins fans and baseball fans.

No comments: