Saturday, June 16, 2012

Where The Pavement Ends and The North Begins

I spent this past week up north in my hometown of Chisholm. The trip wasn't bike related, but planned around helping my parents out around the house, taking dad to doctor appointments, and running errands for my mother. I had a very nice time, but must admit, somewhat selfishly, that it was also hard to be there. It has been very difficult for me to watch both my parents become old and frail, especially my father. Mom, well, she is as tough as nails still, but caring for my dad is beginning to take its toll on her.

I did manage to get away for a ride on Wednesday and was able to spend most of the afternoon amongst the pines. It ended up being a wonderful "soul ride" and in the end I ended up with 48 miles of gravel.

I also played around with my iPhone 4s camera and was using an application called ProHDR. The photos with frames around them were taken using this application. I have to admit, it is pretty fun to use and the photo quality, although not excellent, is pretty good for a cell phone. If you have an iPhone, get the app and try it out.


I started my ride out using a lot of this. Chamois cream has become one of my best friends on a bike. My backside is never totally comfortable no matter what type of saddle I'm using. I guess I have one of those sensitive tushies.


There are wolves in these woods and it was down this stretch of road that I saw, what appeared to be a large black wolf cross the road. I've also heard them back here in the winter when out on the Pugsley.










Forty-eight miles later, this is how my ride would end:)

The following day brought morning storms with heavy rain followed by an all day rain. I ended up going only about 18 miles.



Cornus canadensis (Bunchberry)

Sometimes getting out in the rain, even if it's a short ride, is well worth it.


Rosa arkansana (Prairie Rose)

I'm looking forward to the next opportunity...Lutsen 99er next weekend.




2 comments:

Luca said...

Beautiful places!

greetings from Italy

All Seasons Cyclist said...

ProHDR is a great app, but I need to use a mini-tripod to get the best results.