Sunday, September 15, 2013

Back In The Saddle

It's been one month since my father's passing and I have to admit that motivation has something hard to come by. Even though I know that getting out and riding would probably be the best medicine for me at this time I just haven't felt like it. Call it depression, melancholy, or whatever...it's been a tough thing for me to get through.
 

My single track riding has been minimal, but the times I have gone put a smile on my face and helped bring some life back to my legs.
 



There are several of these massive old oaks in the park. I am not sure how old they are, but they are enormous and could probably tell a pretty story.


I wish that I would have had a better camera when I came across the fellow a couple of weeks ago. The iPhone was all I had and these images where the best I could muster.


Seeing this deer so close brought back a vivid memory of seeing my first deer in the woods while walking with my father. He and my uncle had just purchased 80 acres of land in Itasca County and my dad took me for a walk in the woods to check things out. This is where we encountered my first deer in the wild. I can remember the excitement I felt like it had just happened yesterday.


The beauty of it is...I still feel that excitement today when I see any animal in the wild. The feeling hasn't gone away and I hope that it never does. This young buck and I sat and watched each other for about five minutes. He was just as curious in finding about me as I was in finding out about him. It was an amazing experience that helped put a big broad smile on my face and made my heart happy.


Aldo Leopold said it best..."I should not like to own the boy whose hair does not lift his hat when he sees his first deer."

I should not like to own the boy whose head does not lift his hat when he sees his first deer.
- See more at: http://www.wanliss.com/2013/07/quotes-round-river-by-aldo-leopold/#sthash.H4r2xePD.dpuf
I should not like to own the boy whose head does not lift his hat when he sees his first deer.
- See more at: http://www.wanliss.com/2013/07/quotes-round-river-by-aldo-leopold/#sthash.H4r2xePD.dpuf




No comments: