Saturday, April 5, 2008

Let's Talk Insanity

Now I have been told by more than one person that I am kind of crazy. What exactly does that mean? Granted, I have done many crazy things and a lot of them shouldn't be mentioned on this blog. But really, how do you define crazy? Is it riding a bike across a frozen lake at -40 degrees? Getting up the next morning to run 10Ks in -42 degree weather? Climbing the Grand Teton on your first major western climb? Sleeping out at -35 degrees and enjoying it? Venturing off alone to spend 13 days in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness Area in Montana?
The answer is none of the above. It is spending the entire day teaching, then taking your students to the Science Museum of Minnesota for an overnight camping trip with about 450 other students from around the state. Only to return and spend the next day at school. That's how I finished my week. I must say that my students and I had an absolute blast. I particularly enjoyed the Omni Theater presentation of "The Alps". If you love climbing or the mountains I would highly recommend it. It's a very moving story and one that I remember well from my youth.
Anyway, friends, colleagues, and others thought this was a crazy adventure and I do have to agree. It was physically and mentally draining, but it was well worth it when you saw the looks on student's faces and watched them tour around and do experiments and other activities. It was truly rewarding, but tiring and it caught up to me today on our ride.

No comments: