Saturday, January 31, 2009

Finally...

a morning with temps not below zero! Now, I am in no way complaining about the cold, but I do have to say that it sure was nice to get out and ride without having to worry about frostbite.
Mr. Bill also enjoyed getting out.

I left the house shortly before sunrise and headed for Eagle Lake. Riding the lake in the winter is a lot of fun and quite challenging, especially if you get off the beaten path. Then the riding can get tough because you are in softer snow and often breaking through little drifts. Doing this on a single speed can really provide a good burn for the quads. The roads created by the ice fishermen were fantastic. Hard packed and fast. Top speed a whopping 20 mph on a nice downhill run through Eagle Lake Park. I'm happy I didn't hit any ice.

Most of the two hours were spent just cruising the walking and biking paths here in Maple Grove and Plymouth. I just hate riding on the streets when the temperature warms. That brown slop is no fun and it's also hard on the equipment. I guess that's one of the reasons I don't mind running and riding in the colder temps.

The ride ended up being just under two hours. I really wanted to go further, but Patti and I are hosting "Italian Night" tonight.

On the menu is Veal and Chicken Marsala, Palomino Spaghettini, Beet and Goat Cheese Arugula Salad, Baked Stuffed Mussles, Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Mint Dressing, and a Hazelnut Torte. We may even throw in a little polenta dish as a side. Of course, served along with all of this will be a variety of Italian wines, some good Italian beer and of course...what would Italian Night be without some fine Italian music.

So, you can well imagine what Patti and I will be doing for the rest of the day. Cooking and cleaning. Good thing my sister Gina is coming over to help. It should be a good time

My only concern is, will I be able to pull myself out of bed tomorrow for another two hour ride and a run?? We shall see...

1 comment:

WheelDancer said...

Shouldn't Mr. Bill be wearing a helmet?...

We got out for a spin this afternoon mostly on the Greenway but it took a long time to figure out what to wear. I don't have to think so much about below zero but 45 in January took a bit of thinking.

The menu for this evening sounds fantastic! Now I'm hungry.