Tomorrow I head north once again to spend time with my dad who is still in the hospital. We've been holding out hope that the problem he is experiencing would somehow take care of itself, but it appears more likely that surgery may be the only option. His surgeon is obviously very caring and concerned. He has shared with us the fact that surgery for my father is not a good option and he really would like to avoid it if possible.
In the meantime I'm trying to get as many training miles in as possible. This is difficult when I'm up north since most of my time is spent at the hospital. Last week I did get up early on a couple of mornings and did manage to get in some nice rides. Nothing high mileage, but on the bike and in the woods none the less. I will try to do the same this week if it's possible.Patti and I were slated for a little vacation time up on the North Shore of Lake Superior starting on the 18th, but we are not sure if that will happen as of yet. During this vacation I was going to attempt my 1.100.1 (1 Day-100 Miles- 1 Speed) mtn. bike ride. This too is up in the air. I guess only time will tell.
Yesterday I hammered out 44.5 miles on the single speed at Elm Creek. I hit the 40 mile mark at 2 hrs. and 57 minutes. That is my fastest time yet for 40 miles on the mountain bike.
So, bags are pretty much packed. I actually never really unpacked them from the last trip. Just the dirty laundry. I'll head up tomorrow afternoon and my father may have surgery Wednesday. If so, that will be one hell of long day. In the meantime I pray a lot and hope for the best. I guess that is all we can do. Hopefully all will turn out good. It's already been a long haul and it could prove to be much longer.